Sunday, February 26, 2012

What I've been listening to: 2/26/2012

I haven't been variating my music very much over the last couple of weeks. I downloaded a pair of free mixtapes by Christian rap artist PLAYDOUGH and have had then on repeat basically all week. Bible Bus Mixtape and Writer's Dye, to be exact. I've been enjoying the tasty beats of this album a ton, very creative sample-based fare. I've really been enjoying "Gentle Giant", "My Turn", "Pearls of a PigJam", "Modest Mouseketeer", "Nirvanding" and "Arrowsmitherines".

If I've listened to anything else (I haven't, really), I listened to a bit of Listener's Return to Struggleville, especially the wicked sick "Ozark Empire, or a snake oil salesman comes to your town". That album and his Wooden Heart album are both genius. I listened to (and reviewed) TheGuitahHeroe's Step Back, and a little bit of nerdy emcee Milo's new mixtape EP Milo Takes Baths.

Also, a little bit of La Dispute's Wildlife album, one of my favorites from last year. The storytelling on that album is dazzling. "The Broken Jar" has been holding my ear the last few days.

Also, new Sleigh Bells album out, Reign of Terror. I'll try and review it. I'm also downloading (the bloody gigantic) V For Vinter mixtape by Savant.

And Showbread just announced a new album to release this summer, entitled Cancer. I love these guys and can't wait to hear it.

LINKS

Listener, Return to Struggleville
Playdough, Writer's Dye
Playdough, The Bible Bus Mixtape
TheGuitahHeroe, Step Back
La Dispute, "A Broken Jar"

No comments:

Post a Comment